You can allow students to create their own groups by using a sign-up sheet. You can make the sign-up sheet(s) available on the Groups page or by adding a link to a content area.
- In the Control Panel, click to expand the Users and Groups section and click Groups. If you have made the Groups tool link available on the Course Menu, you can use that link as well.
- Mouse over Create Group Set on the action bar and select Self-Enroll.
- On the Create Self-Enrollment Group Set page, type the group Name and add an optional Description in the Text Editor box. Keep in mind that the group Name will automatically have numbers appended to it depending on the number of groups you are creating, so you do not need to add a numeric value in the Name field. Select Yes to the Group Available option if you would like to make this content available to the group members.
Note: If you select Sign-up Sheet Only, the group is unavailable even after students have signed up, and you must edit the group later to make it available. This gives the instructor more control of the group so that the membership can be reviewed before you make it available.
- Select any tools that you would like to make available to the group members. Discussion board, Email, File Exchange are all good options while the other tools may be either unnecessary or unwanted for the purpose of your group work.
- If you would like to allow students to add personal space modules to their Group's home page (such as a group calendar or...), click the Allow Personalization checkbox.
- Type the sign-up sheet Name and add optional sign-up instructions in the Text Editor box. Keep in mind that the group Name will automatically have numbers appended to it depending on the number of groups you are creating (one sign-up sheet for each), so you do not need to add a numeric value in the Name field.
- Specify the Maximum Number of Members, whether you would like members to see other members before signing up (Show Members option), and whether you would like to Allow Students to sign-up from the Groups listing page (recommended).
- Type the Number of Groups that you would like to have created in the appropriate field.
- Click Submit to save the group settings.